Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Adventures in Dating

Nineteen days and counting! It still seems so unreal. I thought about organizing a little book release party so I could dress up and put on my party heels.
I mean, check out these heels!!

However, I can't last long in them and what's a party without party heels? I know, my logic is bewildering.

Plus I am still concentrating on finishing up book two. It's hard to celebrate when I still have so much work to do. I've found writing to be so much more difficult under contract. I've put a lot of pressure on myself, and it's just not flowing as easily as it did pre-contract. Inspiration and creativity can't be made to happen. They are forces that come and go like the wind. I like to hold on tight and let it take me on a wild ride. But now I don't have the luxury of waiting for that burst of inspiration to breeze by. I have to learn to make it happen, to search for the inspiration in every day life.

I've drawn from my personal life--shocking, I know. The other day I was at work, at the bridal shop, and one of my brides started asking me questions. It's completely normal. I help them get dressed. Things get personal quickly so its natural to want to know some information about someone before you strip down in a fitting room with them. This particular bride asked if I was married. When I told her I was single, she seemed shocked. She couldn't understand why I would want to help women plan their weddings and not my own. I assured her that I love what I do, and there was no need to worry about me. She then started to list all the options I have, as if my singleness was a disease and I needed to see a doctor about it. "You know you should try match.com or a singles group or something." Thanks, but no thanks. I've tried the eHarmony thing before, and although I've met some wonderful guys that way, I also met some real doozies. I laughed and told her that unfortunately online dating didn't work for me in the way its supposed to but that it did provide excellent material for book number two!

As a working title, I'm calling this book The Dating Adventures. Shay hates it, but it's temporary. We'll figure that one out later.

Getting our flirty face on
Dating is--well, it's a roller coaster. At least it has been for me. There are these highs where I find myself full of butterflies and every time I'm near this person I get a shot of adrenaline that travels through my arms and makes my hands tingle with anticipation. I find myself suddenly feeling coy and brazen all at the same time. Usually, I'm rendered speechless, struck by a sudden fear of saying the wrong thing, over analyzing every tiny moment. I can't even say hi to the ones I'm really smitten by. These moments have been few and far between with me. I can probably list them all on one hand.
More often than not, I experience the lows of the dating roller coaster. The heartbreak the unmet expectations. Some might say I've been unlucky, but I just see it as God protecting me. Plus, now I have the freedom to pursue my dreams and write about all of the unlucky dates I've been on.

My character in The Dating Adventures is going through something similar. She knows what she wants, and even though she encounters many lows, she refuses to give up.

It all depends on your outlook. You can focus on the bad, and be afraid of being vulnerable as I have in the past. I could only concentrate on the fact that I can't find love. Or I could focus on the good, and hold it up as something to work towards, something worth waiting for AND write about it!

Side note: No one was harmed in the making of this book. All names were changed to protect the innocent. Just messin'. But really I didn't used real life experiences just was inspired by them. So no one has to fear becoming a victim in my book. Although that's not completely off the table. Be careful what you say or do around me. Just sayin' :)



No comments:

Post a Comment